Recipe: Dr. Jiwani’s Vegan Pumpkin Pie
(Nut-Free Low Carb Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Sugar-Free for Vegan Paleo Keto & Candida Diets)
Dr. Jiwani’s Vegan Pumpkin Pie is an adapted hypoallergenic, healthy version of the Thanksgiving classic, reminiscent of family, gratitude and warm, yummy comfort food. Dr. Jiwani’s Vegan Pumpkin Pie, caters to those with various modified diets, due to the heavy sugar, dairy and eggs typically present in the classic pumpkin pie. My other vegan pumpkin pie recipe has cashews to create a smooth creamy texture, however some people are allergic to cashews. If you can use cashews and other nuts, try the Recipe: Dr. Jiwani’s Pumpkin Pie Filling best when combined with Dr. Jiwani’s No Bake Pie Crust. I have made a revised version here for my patients who cannot have cashews or other nuts, including Dr. Jiwani’s Grain-Free Vegan Pie Crust. I use leftover pumpkin pie filling without the crust in 250 mL mason jars for easy to storage, portioned pumpkin pie pudding or custard. Vegan Pumpkin Pie is a seasonal favourite in my household, as the boys fight for the last mason jar. It’s a beautiful combination of spices, the earthiness of pumpkin with the rich flavour.
Dr. Jiwani’s Vegan Pumpkin Pie is suitable for those looking for a nutritious sweet fix, yet Nut-Free, Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Corn-Free, suitable for even those following Paleo, Keto, Diabetic, Grain-Free & Candida Diets.
Health Benefits of Vegan Pumpkin Pie:
- Low in Calories & Carbohydrates
- High Fiber for Weight Loss & Stabilizing Blood Sugars
- Rich in Tryptophan, Improving Serotonin Levels (The Happy, Sleepy & Pain-Free Brain Chemical)
- High Magnesium Source for Relaxation, Sleep, Bowel Movements & Muscle Growth
- Highest Vitamin A levels of All Gourds over 200% RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance)
- Improves Immunity & Vision
- Improves Skin Appearance
I was surprised to find Organic Pumpkin so easily this year in the suburbs. I find that using organic ingredients makes all the difference in flavour and health effects in cooking and baking. It is important to avoid the Pumpkin Pie in a can as it is full of sugar, and 27 grams of carbs for just 1/2 cup! Always read the label before you buy something.
Dr. Jiwani’s Pumpkin Pie is a hit every Thanksgiving even with those not on modified diets!
Dr. Jiwani’s Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Serving: 24 Individual Ramekins or 250 mL Mason Jars
22 tablespoons 330 mL Agar Flakes OR 11 teaspoons Agar Powder *Critical Point Brand Eden
2 ½ tablespoons 35 mL Organic Ground Vanilla Bean (Avoid Alcohol Extract & Glycerine Base with Allergies)
2 ½ tablespoons 35 mL Organic Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon 5 mL Organic Ground Nutmeg
1 teaspoon 5 mL Organic Lemon / Lime Zest
½ teaspoon 2.5 mL Organic Ground Cloves
½ teaspoon 2.5 mL Himalayan Sea Salt
6 cups 1.5 L Roasted Pumpkin OR Organic Pumpkin from a Can
5 cups Coconut Milk Homemade or Brand Earth’s Choice Extra Rich
2 cups Filtered Water
1 cup Coconut Nectar / Yacon Syrup / Xylitol Granules Grind into Fine Powder (Caution Xylitol may cause Digestive Upset in higher amounts) Brand Xyla *Use Xylitol for DIABETIC & KETO & LOW CARB Diets
NO OVEN REQUIRED – THIS IS RAW!
Prepare 24 half pint (250 mL) mason jars or individual ramekins ensuring they are clean & dry with the lids removed
Make Dr. Jiwani’s Grain-Free Vegan Pie Crust first, letting the crust set in the refrigerator for best results
Add Agar Flakes or Agar Powder to Filtered Water to allow it to bloom for 10 – 20 minutes
Add Organic Pumpkin & Agar – Water Mix to a large pot on stove, bring to a boil then allow it to simmer for 30 minutes.
Add in Sweetener (Xylitol, Coconut Nectar or Yacon Syrup) & Spices, stir thoroughly
Add in Coconut Milk and again mix thoroughly
Add Pumpkin mixture to Vita-Mix or Food Processor to create a smooth, velvety texture
Pour Pumpkin Pie Filling into Individual Ramekins / Half Pint (250 mL) Mason Jars with Dr. Jiwani’s Grain-Free Vegan Pie Crust
Put Lids onto Individual Ramekins / Half Pint Mason Jars before refrigerating
Refrigerate until Pumpkin Pie Filling is set, approximately 1 hour to overnight
Serve Cold & Enjoy!
For a Healthy, Low Carb, Allergy-Free Holiday Feast serve with:
- I always make extra and refrigerate the remaining mason jars with lids
- I prefer to use the Half Pint Mason Jars as:
- Dessert can be made ahead of time, even 24 hours ahead
- Easy storage of dessert made ahead as the half pint mason jars are stackable with lids on
- No high maintenance serving of dessert
- Each individual has their own dessert
- Easy storage of leftovers
- AVOID PLASTIC for storage due to cancer causing & hormone disrupting chemicals that leach into the food
- Use Xylitol for Keto or Very Low Carb Diets
- Xylitol is best sourced from the Birch Bark (Xyla Brand), especially if you are allergic to corn or yeast
- The Consistency of this Pumpkin Pie Filling is dependent directly on the amount of Agar used, as the more used, the stiffer and less liquid the filling
- Agar preparation is critical for the Pumpkin Pie Filling to gel
- Agar must be dissolve in water, brought to a boil and then simmered until slightly thickened anywhere from 10 – 20 minutes
- Refrigeration is critical for thePumpkin Pie Filling to Gel & Set
- The use of Mason Jars removes the necessity for the Filling to Gel as the jar will hold it together
- Don’t worry if your Pumpkin Pie Filling is not completely firm, think of it as Pumpkin Custard with a Coconut Crust
- Please avoid your specific food allergies. This recipe is allergy-free as above, when the correct ingredients are used as per the recipe above.
Subscribe to My Blog as More Recipes & Health Nuggets will be Coming Soon…
This post is for educational purposes only and does not advocate self-diagnosis. Due to individual variability, consultation with a licensed physician is highly recommended, prior to starting a natural treatment plan.
For further information, see Terms of Our Website.
This information is for educational purposes only and does not advocate self-diagnosis. Due to individual variability, consultation with a licensed health professional, such as a naturopathic physician is highly recommended, prior to starting a natural treatment plan. For further information, see Terms of our Website.
Follow Dr. Jiwani