FAQ Botox: What is Botox?
This is Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Botox is to answer all your questions on this neuromodulator wrinkle therapy. Botox & Xeomin Cosmetic are purified natural proteins used to treat wrinkles and fine lines. Both are approved by Health Canada and are now the most commonly performed cosmetic injection worldwide.
FAQ Botox: How does Botox Work?
A tiny amount of protein is injected accurately into the muscles that cause the wrinkles, to relax them. Botox & Xeomin are called neuromodulators as they safely and temporarily block nerve impulses, which smooth out the wrinkle creases in the skin. When executed artfully, Botox/Xeomin injections create a younger, awakened appearance, without looking frozen or feeling numb.
FAQ Botox: What Areas can Botox Treat?
Botox Injections Treat Wrinkles:
- Around the Eyes (Crow’s Feet – Smile lines)
- Horizontal lines in the Forehead (Surprise lines)
- Vertical lines between Eyebrows (Frown lines)
- Bunny lines beside Nose (Squint lines)
Botox Injections also Treat Additional Areas:
- Eyebrow Lift
- Vertical Lip Lines
- Mouth Frown
- Dimpling Chin
- Upper Lip (for Gummy Smile)
- Tight Jaw Muscles (for TMJ Syndrome / to narrow Square Face Shape)
FAQ Botox: What are the Benefits of Botox?
Benefits of Botox to Address Facial Wrinkles:
- Fast, painless, in office procedure
- Less invasive with no downtime unlike cosmetic surgery
- Gradual softening of facial lines lasting 3 – 6 months
FAQ Botox: Is there a Recovery Time with Botox?
Botox injections are so quick with minimal discomfort that most patients can resume their normal activities after treatment. The odd patient may experience slight bruising or headache.
FAQ Botox: How Long can Botox Last?
When you discuss your expectations with Dr. Jiwani, she will recommend the amount of protein you may need. The treatment time may be up to 15 minutes, depending on which areas you would like to address. After a few days, the effects of the treatment become noticeable in gradual softening of your skin’s appearance, with facial lines and wrinkles reducing markedly over 2 weeks. The effects of Botox vary in patients, though typically it can last up to 6 months. Maintenance treatments are often required, with repeated injections often producing a longer lasting effect.
FAQ Botox: Is Botox Safe?
Botox injections are quick and painless, with really no downtime in most patients. Occasionally, the odd patient may experience any temporary symptoms of redness, numbness, bruising or headache. Rarely, if the protein migrates to the upper eyelid, a transient slight drooping can occur. This is self correcting over time. Botox should not be done on:
- Pregnant or Breast-feeding Women
- Patients with Neuromuscular disorders (Myasthenia gravis, Eaton Lambert Syndrome)
- Patients with Facial Infections
- Patients Allergic to Botox or Xeomin
FAQ Botox: What is the Difference between Botox & Xeomin?
Dr. Jiwani prefers Xeomin instead of Botox because:
- Xeomin is the purest form, without complex proteins (human albumin) = Less Allergic Reactions with Long Term Use
- Xeomin does not require refrigeration = Less Compromised Injections from Temperature Instability
- Xeomin has been proven to have the same therapeutic effect as Botox without the issues above
FAQ Botox: How Much does Botox Cost?
Dr. Jiwani charges $7.50 per unit. On average, patients may use 20-50 units. Patient dosages range with:
- Gender (Men often require more as their muscles are stronger)
- Repeated Use (Increased treatments have a longer lasting effect)
- Number of areas treated (More areas require more protein)
- Individual variability
This article is for educational purposes only and does not advocate self-diagnosis. Due to individual variability, consultation with a licensed health professional, such as a naturopathic physician is highly recommended, prior to starting a natural treatment plan. For further information, see Terms of Our Website.
Areas Treated: Between Eyebrows (Frown Lines) & Corners of Eyes (Crow’s Feet – Smile Lines) & Double Chin (Mesotherapy & Lipodissolve)
Areas Treated: Between Eyebrows (Frown Lines) & Corners of Eyes (Crow’s Feet – Smile Lines)