Recipe: Dr. Jiwani’s Pumpkin Pie Filling
(Low Carb Gluten-Free Grain-Free Dairy-Free Egg-Free Corn-Free Soy-Free Sugar-Free Suitable for Diabetic, Paleo, Keto, Vegan, Allergy Conscious & Candida Diets)
Whether it’s a holiday feast or just because, pies are warm, loving comfort food. I knew I had to adapt a hypoallergenic, healthy version of Pumpkin Pie Filling, catering to those with various modified diets, due to the heavy sugar, dairy and eggs typically present. Dr. Jiwani’s Pumpkin Pie Filling is best when combined with Dr. Jiwani’s No Bake Pie Crust. This is a seasonal favourite in my household, as the boys fight for the last mason jar. It’s a beautiful combination of spices, the earthiness of pumpkin with the rich flavour and candy-like pecan crust.
Dr. Jiwani’s Pumpkin Pie Filling is suitable for those looking for a nutritious sweet fix, yet Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Corn-Free, suitable for even those following Diabetic, Paleo, Keto, Vegan, Allergy Conscious & Candida Diets.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin:
- Low in Calories & Carbohydrates
- High Fibre for Weight Loss & Stabilizing Blood Sugars
- Rich in Tryptophan, Improving Serotonin Levels (The Happy, Sleepy & Pain-Free Brain Chemical)
- High Magnesium Source for Relaxation, Sleep, Bowel Movements & Muscle Growth
- Highest Vitamin A levels of All Gourds over 200% RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance)
- Improves Immunity & Vision
- Improves Skin Appearance
I was surprised that it was hard to find Organic Pumpkin Puree in the suburbs, although thankfully it was ever present in Whole Foods. I find that using organic ingredients makes all the difference in flavour and health effects in cooking and baking. It is important to avoid the Pumpkin Pie Puree in a can as it is full of sugar! Always read the label before you buy something.
Dr. Jiwani’s Pumpkin Pie Filling & No Bake Pie Crust is a hit every Thanksgiving even with those not on modified diets!
Dr. Jiwani’s Pumpkin Pie Filling
Serving: 22 Individual Ramekins or Half Pint Mason Jars
2 cups Organic Raw Cashews (Can’t use other nuts but Organic Coconut Cream may work, but you must use *2 tablespoons more Agar Flakes or 2 teaspoons Agar Powder!)
11 tablespoons Agar Flakes OR 11 teaspoons Agar Powder *Critical Point
2 ½ tablespoons Organic Ground Vanilla Bean Avoid Alcohol Extract & Glycerine Base with Allergies
2 ½ tablespoons Organic Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Organic Ground Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Organic Lemon Zest
4 Pinch Organic Ground Cloves
4 Pinch Himalayan Sea Salt
6 cups Roasted Pumpkin OR Organic Pumpkin Puree from a Can
5 cups Filtered Water
1 cup Coconut Nectar
1cup Yacon Syrup
1 cup Xylitol Granules Sweet Natural Trading Brand Grind into Fine Powder Caution Xylitol may cause Digestive Upset in higher amounts
NO OVEN REQUIRED – THIS IS RAW!
Prepare 22 half pint mason jars or individual ramekins ensuring they are clean & dry with the lids removed
Make Dr. Jiwani’s No Bake Pie Crust first, letting the crust set in the refrigerator for best results
Add Agar Flakes or Powder to a stovetop pot filled with 5 cups of Filtered Water bringing it to a boil, stirring occasionally, and simmer for 20 minutes
Grind Cashews & Salt to a fine powder in a Vita-Mix or Cuisinart Food Processor
Then transfer Cashew Powder to Vita-Mix or Blender
Add Agar Boiling Water to Cashew Powder in Vita-Mix and process on high speed
Add Pumpkin Puree, Coconut Nectar / Xylitol Powder & Spices into Vita-Mix & Blend thoroughly
Pour Pumpkin Pie Filling into Individual Ramekins / Half Pint Mason Jars or 9 inch Pie Pan
Put Lids onto Individual Ramekins / Half Pint Mason Jars before refrigerating
Refrigerate until Pumpkin Pie Filling is set, approximately 1 hour
Serve Cold & Enjoy!
- I always make extra and refrigerate the remaining mason jars with lids
- I prefer to use the Half Pint Mason Jars as:
- Dessert can be made ahead of time, even 24 hours ahead
- Easy storage of dessert made ahead as the half pint mason jars are stackable with lids on
- No high maintenance serving of dessert
- Each individual has their own dessert
- Easy storage of leftovers
- AVOID PLASTIC for storage due to cancer causing & hormone disrupting chemicals that leach into the food
- Use Xylitol for Keto or Very Low Carb Diets
- Xylitol is best sourced from the Birch Bark (Sweet Natural Trading Brand), especially if you are Allergic to Corn or Yeast
- The Consistency of this Pumpkin Pie Filling is dependent directly on the amount of Agar used, as the more used, the stiffer and less liquid the filling
- Agar preparation is critical for the Filling to gel
- Agar must be dissolve in water, brought to a boil and then simmered until slightly thickened anywhere from 10 – 20 minutes
- Refrigeration is critical for the Filling to Gel & Set
- The use of Mason Jars removes the necessity for the Filling to Gel as the jar will hold it together
- Don’t worry if your Pumpkin Pie Filling is not completely firm, think of it as Pumpkin Custard with a Candy Crust
- Please avoid your specific food allergies. This recipe is allergy-free as above, when the correct ingredients are used as per the recipe above.
This information is for educational purposes only and does not advocate self-diagnosis. Due to individual variability, consultation with a licensed health professional, such as a licensed naturopathic physician is highly recommended, prior to starting a natural treatment plan. For further information, see Terms of our Website.
Follow Dr. Jiwani