Toxic Fruits & Veggies 2018: Levels of Pesticides & When to Buy Organic
Toxic Fruits & Veggies Pesticides 2018: Levels of Pesticides & When to Buy Organic
Pesticides are prevalent in our mass production society, to forcefully control fungi, insects & weeds. In fact, some of the most toxic of pesticides are still commonly used today. The benefits of pesticides does not seem to outweigh the severe effects on humans, killing other species and contaminating the water & soil environment.
Even Health Canada regulates pesticides, and encourages Farmers to “reduce their reliance on and minimize their exposure to pesticides”. Despite that, Health Canada does not acknowledge the evidence of the health risk related to pesticide residues.
Health Issues Related to Pesticides
The toxicity of pesticides are well researched and linked to many health concerns, including Cancer, Dementia, Brain Toxicity, Skin Rashes (Dermatitis), Asthma, Diabetes, Children’s Intelligence & Brain Development, Hormonal Disruption, Fertility and Birth Defects.
Why Are We Poisoning Ourselves with Pesticides?
Society has threatened decline, starvation & job losses without these synthetic pesticides as it’s a billion dollar industry, but it may be self-regulating as pesticide resistance is increasing. Also, more evidence is available that natural alternatives can be just as effective as chemical pesticides. Other countries are leading by example, in their pursuit of chemical free food production, with incredible results of even increases in crop yields.
UN Global Treaty against Toxic Pesticides
In Early March 2017 two United Nations Experts call for a new global treaty to phase out dangerous pesticides & move towards sustainable farming practices. The Report presented to the Human Rights Council in Geneva highlighted, per Sustainable Pulse:
- Excessive Use Pesticides Are Very Dangerous To Human Health & The Environment
- Misleading Claims That Toxic Pesticides Are Critical For Food Supply
- Protection Varies With Varying National Regulations Creating A Double Standard In Developing Countries
- Few Hundred Thousand Annual Deaths From Acute Pesticide Poisoning
- Chronic Exposure Health Concerns: Cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s Diseases, Hormone Disruption, Developmental Disorders & Sterility
- Obligation Of The United States To Protect Children From Hazardous Pesticides
- Warn That The Toxic Pesticides Persist Environmentally For Decades
- Threaten The Entire Ecological System (Neonicotinoid Pesticides Destroy Bees that Cross Pollinate 71% Crops)
- Contamination Water & Soil
- Loss of Biodiversity
- Destroying Natural Enemies Of Pests
- Reducing Nutritional Value of Food
- Stress Global Treaty Necessity To Regulate All Pesticides
- Challenge Pesticide Industry’s “Systematic Denial Of Harms” And “Aggressive, Unethical Marketing Tactics,”
- Pesticide Industry Is Spending Massive Amounts Of Money To Influence Policymakers & Contest Scientific Evidence Showing Their Products Do In Fact Cause Great Harm To Human And Environmental Health
The Deadliest Toxic Pesticide: Glyphosate
Glyphosate is most used on Corn, Beets, Soybeans & Non-Organic Non-GMO Wheat. Horrifically, Glyphosate & Roundup may be more toxic than DDT. Research shows the following Health Concerns:
- Gut Inflammation, Dysbiosis (Leaky Gut, Food Allergies, Less Good Bacteria, More Bad Guys)
- Antibiotic Resistance
- Increased Cancer Risk
- Nutritional Deficiencies (Pesticide Alters Nutrition Of Crop By Immobilizing Nutrients, Especially Minerals)
- Increased Toxin Exposure
- Disruption Production of Protein Building Blocks (Amino Acids)
- Reducing Detox Liver Enzymes Which Enhances Body Damage & Toxic Effects
- Ammonia Byproduct Causing Autism, Alzheimer’s Disease (Brain Inflammation)
Can Pesticides Be Removed At Home?
Until our society embraces non-synthetic pesticide use, we must educate ourselves. It is important to note that washing or peeling produce will not remove the chemicals below the surface, and therefore it is critical to know which foods are most effected, and when to buy organic. Of course, consuming all organic produce would be best, but budget restraints allow you to minimize your pesticide exposure with this list, thanks to the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen & Clean Fifteen.
AVOID these unless ORGANIC due to the Highest Pesticide Residues in 2018 (In Order of Most to Least Toxic):
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Hot Peppers
LESS Likely to Contain Pesticide Residues:
- Sweet Corn*
- Sweet Peas Frozen
- Honeydew Melon
* Genetically Modified Crops (GMO) are not required to be labeled, so the following are a concern:
- Summer Squash
One last note, Weight Loss is a common concern for many, and from a health perspective, it is key to note that fat gain often occurs to protect the body from its own toxicity. So your health endeavours should include this list, to minimize your toxic exposure and help you maintain a health weight.
Subscribe to My Blog as More Recipes & Health Nuggets will be Coming Soon…
This post is for educational purposes only and does not advocate self-diagnosis. Due to individual variability, consultation with a licensed physician is highly recommended, prior to starting a natural treatment plan.
For further information, see Terms of Our Website.