Recipe: Dr. Jiwani’s Low Carb Berry Sauce
(Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Soy-Free Corn-Free for Vegan Paleo Keto & Candida Diets)
Dr. Jiwani’s Low Carb Berry Sauce is an adapted hypoallergenic, healthy version of the Thanksgiving classic, cranberry sauce or jelly. Dr. Jiwani’s Low Carb Berry Sauce, caters to those with various modified diets, due to the heavy sugar & gelatine (bovine) typically present in the classic cranberry sauce. I have made a revised version here for my patients who cannot have cranberries or cane sugar due to Food Allergies & Candidiasis. I store my leftoverLow Carb Berry Sauce in 250 mL mason jars for easy to storage to have with leftover turkey or other meat entrees, or for ease of freezing & serving. Dr. Jiwani’s Low Carb Berry Sauce is a sweet & tart colourful sauce packed full of antioxidants instead of sugar, making it a stunning accompaniment to your Turkey Dinner.
Dr. Jiwani’s Low Carb Berry Sauce is suitable for those looking for a sweet superfood to accompany your holiday feast yet Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Corn-Free, suitable for even those following Paleo, Keto, Diabetic & Vegan Diets.
Health Benefits of Berries:
- Lower in Calories & Carbohydrates
- High Fiber for Improved Digestive Function
- Anti-Cancer (Ellagic Acid in Raspberries) & Anti-oxidants
- Heart Health: Increase HDL “Good” Cholesterol, Lowers Blood Pressure
- Improves Bone Density (Polyphenols)
- Protects Nerves & Brain & Eye Health
- Antioxidants Cell-Protection Against Damage & Cancer
- Regulates Diabetes
I was surprised to find Organic Cranberries so easily this year in the suburbs. I find that using organic ingredients makes all the difference in flavour and health effects in cooking and baking. It is important to avoid the Cranberry sauce in a can as it typically has 25 – 28 grams of sugar in 4 tablespoons, which is almost equal to the sugar in 1 can of cola soda. Always read the label before you buy something.
Dr. Jiwani’s Low Carb Berry Sauce is a hit every Thanksgiving even with those not on modified diets!
Dr. Jiwani’s Low Carb Berry Sauce
Serving: 8 Individual Ramekins or 250 mL Mason Jars
2 pounds 908 grams Organic Cranberries, Fresh
2 pounds 908 grams Organic Raspberries, Fresh *Use if you are ALLERGIC to Cranberries
8 tablespoons 120 mL Agar Flakes OR 8 teaspoons 40 mL Agar Powder *Critical Point Brand Eden
2 teaspoon 10 mL Organic Orange / Lemon Zest
½ teaspoon 2.5 mL Organic Ginger
2 cups Filtered Water
1 cup Coconut Nectar
1 cup Yacon Syrup
1 cup Xylitol Granules Grind into Fine Powder (Caution Xylitol may cause Digestive Upset in higher amounts) Brand Xyla *Use Xylitol for DIABETIC & KETO & LOW CARB Diets
Wash & pick through berries, discarding the rotten ones
Add Agar Flakes or Agar Powder to Filtered Water in a large pot to allow it to bloom for 10 – 20 minutes
Add Berries to Agar – Water Mixture in a large pot on stove, bring to a boil then turn heat down & allow it to simmer for 10 minutes
Add in Sweetener (Xylitol, Coconut Nectar or Yacon Syrup) & Spices, stir thoroughly and simmer for 20 minutes
Adjust sweetness to taste, adding more Sweetener as required
Add Berry Mixture to Vita-Mix or Food Processor to create a smooth, velvety texture
Pour Berry Sauce into Individual Ramekins / Half Pint (250 mL) Mason Jars
Put Lids onto Individual Ramekins / Half Pint 250 mL Mason Jars before refrigerating
It is ESSENTIAL to refrigerate until Berry Sauce is set, approximately 1 hour to overnight
Serve Cold or Room Temperature & Enjoy with your Turkey Dinner!
Refrigerate or Freeze Leftovers in Mason Jars or Glass Containers
For a Healthy, Low Carb, Allergy-Free Holiday Feast serve with:
Dr. Jiwani’s Low Carb Vegan Stuffing
- I always make extra and refrigerate the remaining mason jars with lids
- I prefer to use the Half Pint Mason Jars as:
- Berry Sauce can be made ahead of time, even 24 hours ahead
- Easy storage of Berry Sauce made ahead as the half pint mason jars are stackable with lids on
- Easy storage of leftovers
- AVOID PLASTIC for storage due to cancer causing & hormone disrupting chemicals that leach into the food
- Use Xylitol for Keto or Very Low Carb Diets
- Xylitol is best sourced from the Birch Bark (Xyla Brand), especially if you are allergic to corn or yeast
- The Consistency of this Berry Sauce is dependent directly on the amount of Agar used, as the more used, the stiffer and less liquid the Berry Sauce
- Agar preparation is critical for the Berry Sauce to gel
- Agar must be dissolve in water, brought to a boil and then simmered until slightly thickened anywhere from 10 – 20 minutes
- Refrigeration is critical for the Berry Sauce to Gel & Set
- The use of Mason Jars removes the necessity for the Berry Sauce to Gel as the jar will hold it together
- Don’t worry if your Berry Sauce is not completely firm, think of it as Sauce instead of a Jelly
- Please avoid your specific food allergies. This recipe is allergy-free as above, when the correct ingredients are used as per the recipe above.
Subscribe to My Blog as More Recipes & Health Nuggets will be Coming Soon…
This post is for educational purposes only and does not advocate self-diagnosis. Due to individual variability, consultation with a licensed physician is highly recommended, prior to starting a natural treatment plan.
For further information, see Terms of Our Website.
This information is for educational purposes only and does not advocate self-diagnosis. Due to individual variability, consultation with a licensed health professional, such as a naturopathic physician is highly recommended, prior to starting a natural treatment plan. For further information, see Terms of our Website.
Follow Dr. Jiwani